httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] scenario question: does this call for mod_rewrite?
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:27:32 GMT
yeah, mod_rewrite would work great here.

Something along the lines of (the syntax is close, though probably wrong,
hopefully you can get what you need from the docs or another list member):

<VirtualHost mybureau.com>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteRule (.*) mydepartment.com/mybureau$1 [R]
</VirtualHost>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stone, Timothy" <tstone@cityofhbg.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 2:09 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] scenario question: does this call for mod_rewrite?

List,

I'm sure this is done, and can be done, I just don't know what it falls
under; it possibly is associated with mod_rewrite.

Here's the scenario:

An existing site is hosted at mybureau.com (not a real address, for
demostration purposes). This site has its own document root.

The purpose and content of mybureau.com is "embraced and extended" by
mydepartment.com (again not a real address) to reduce management overhead
and introduce a single look and feel.

I want to do the following:

1. A client that requests mybureau.com.
2. mydepartment.com recieves the request.
3. mydepartment responds with mydepartment.com/mybureau/index.html

Already it sounds like a virtual host is needed. However,this should *not*
be a vhost with a *separate docroot* The mydeparment.com/mybureau pages will
have links up to parent directories in mydepartment.com, so I can't "jail"
the client to a docroot at mydepartment.com/mybureau in a VirtualHost.

Something else needs to be done... I just don't know what it is.

If further clarification is needed, do not hesitate to ask. Thanks in
advance!

Regards,
Tim