httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lewis Watson" <li...@visionsix.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:12:04 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "dale's stuff" <stuff@colony.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 9:06 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?

> Hello,
>
> I was just processing my logs and have found that once again some scum are
> stealing some images from my site and linking directly to them.
>
> I am running apache 1.3.2x on RH Linux 7.1. I would like to be able to
> serve a different image to these scum to get the point across that they
can'
> t be stealing my images -kind of like what angelfire and so forth do.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale

Hi Dale.
There are things you can do to prevent them from linking to them (See the
links below), but to keep them from pulling them off your site and using
them? Nothing. You are offering the graphics over a public network. There
are ways to slow some people up or making it a tad more difficult but in the
end there is no way to prevent someone from pulling what your server is
giving out.

http://www.bignosebird.com/apache/a16.shtml
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#image-theft

hope this helps,