httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Villa" <apacheusermailingl...@ftbwebsolutions.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] directory listings vanish in directories that contain .htaccess
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:50:55 GMT
Sounds like you just want to show your directory.

Try this:

Create a non protected directory and place an html file in it which
simply redirects to the folder which is protected.

-----Original Message-----
From: Darin Ginther [mailto:dginther@broadjump.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 3:15 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] directory listings vanish in directories that
contain .htaccess

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to Apache, but I have RTFM, searched google, and have
actually read the archives regarding most of the apache posts.  If
anyone can help me with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Apache 2.0.40 on RH 7.3.

Basically, I'm password protecting some directories using .htaccess
files:

http://myserver/myfolder

Such a url results in a box pop-up and the user is prompted for a
password.

The problem is, that under
http://myserver

I can see ALL folders except for the one with the .htaccess file in
it... That is "myfolder" isn't listed in the index any longer.

Since I RTFM, I made sure of the following:
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    AllowOverride AuthConfig Options
</Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig Options
</Directory>

I even went so far as to include the following in my .htaccess:
Options +Indexes

Still, this folder doesn't show up off of DocumentRoot as a listed
directory.  If I remove the .htaccess file, it shows up just fine... Any
ideas?

-D. ginther