httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Villa <apacheusermailingl...@ftbwebsolutions.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Guidance before I leap...
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:56:06 GMT
I have been using apache on windows to host one site, no mail server,
no ftp, nothing.  Just output plain php pages which can really just
be html because I don't do anything on them.  Anyway, I have been
developing sites and having my clients pay for the hosting elsewhere.
I just started looking into hosting them from home, but I'm a little
paranoid on security, mail servers, and ftp on a windows platform.

I thought of running linux instead of windows on my machine which
will do the hosting.  For someone without any knowledge of non-windows,
will configuring Apache be considered difficult on linux?  I'm a
quick learner and usually figure things out by example.

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction via a website or
book or whatever, if I go the linux route, to how I can run a mail
server, ftp type program, security, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

-Jonathan