httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Beard <j...@cyberxape.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Question???
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:54:43 GMT
Right. That is why Non-discosure Agreements Exist. This isn't actually
a technical problem as much as it is a legal issue.

Here's what I think:

1. I'd never do a lick of work until there is at least a Letter Of
   Intent signed by a corporate officer.

2. As part of the sales cycle make sure that the potential client
   signs an NDA that was written up by a lawyer.

3. It's always best to work under a master services agreement that
   includes an NDA plus things that, in minute detail, describe who
   gets what, when and for how much.

Protecting one's self is tricky business and requires, IMHO, investment
in a good IP and contract lawyer.

If you have issues with ponying up to do it right, then just show
potential clients your previous work.

If you insist on a technical solution, I would only spend time doing a
page or two and then post up small-ish JPG screenshots that are password
protected.

--Jeff (not a lawyer)

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Nelson, Robert D. wrote:

> J:
>
> > copyright is a convoluted set of laws, and exceptions. you
> > may want to
> > check all counties laws and verify that they will protect you before
> > relying on them.
> > the internet is often a grey area in a lot of places with a
> > lot of the
> > laws. the content of a site falls under the laws where the server is,
> > but the copyright falls under the laws of the person viewing
> > the site. (
> > that is where they have possession of the content. )
>
> As far as the extension of copyright law internationally, there is very
> little that can be done about the pirating of content.  The majority of the
> modern world does have an agreed upon standard (I believe most European
> countries go with lifetime + 50 years).  Many smaller, less industrialized
> countries try to avoid copyright agreements in hopes that open IP law will
> stimulate their economy.  However, the WTO is slowly starting to bring
> everyone in-line (for better or worse).
>
> It should also be pointed out that copyright law extends only to a specific
> creative work, not the concept behind it.  If you had truly new,
> cutting-edge software that you wanted to legally protect you'd want to go
> after a patent.
>
> I know this whole discussion is rather off-topic, but I thought it might
> apply.
>
>  ~ Robert  (not a copyright lawyer)

Jeff Beard | Systems Architecture, Programming and Management
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com, 303.443.9339
Location   | In front of the computer, Boulder, CO, USA