httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Beard <j...@cyberxape.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] HTTPD's still eating up all RAM.
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:32:31 GMT
The problem is most likely poorly coded Perl scripts using mod_perl
but it could take some effort to audit stuff like that.

In the meantime, some things you might try:

1. Reducing MaxRequestsPerChild so that the child processes
   die off sooner (try 500, for instance). Do this first.

2. mod_perl doesn't really like being restarted with the "restart" or
   "graceful" arguments for apachectl. You should probably comepletly
   stop and start the web server whenever it needs it.

3. Don't use Apache::Run for scripts that used to be CGI scripts. Stick
   with forking CGI. Many times I've found legacy code that just isn't
   appropriate for a persistent environment like mod_perl. Note that
   their may be risk to performance if you change this configuration
   on a heavily loaded server, so be careful with this change.

--Jeff

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, psnizek@seaan.net wrote:

> Thanks for answering. Please allow me to write you privately. When starting
> httpd it's also starting Perl. AFAIK there's also php 4.2.23 installed.
> Since I didn't do the setup (I'm not familiar with setting up web servers
> therefore another company had to do it) I just send you the whole
> httpd.conf.
>
> Thanks,
> Philipp

[...]

--
Jeff Beard | Systems Architecture, Programming and Management
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com, 303.443.9339