httpd-users mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Porting from Apache 1.3 to Apache 2.0
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:02:59 GMT
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Souvik Das wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am starting to port my Apache1.3 code to Apache2.0. I have some
> questions about some APIs that were present in 1.3 but is not present in
> 2.0.
>
>     * In 1.3, there were APIs like ap_soft_timeout(),
> ap_reset_timeout(), ap_kill_timeout() etc. I couldn't find them in 2.0.
> I have looked in the web site, downloaded the source code (for both
> 1.3.27 and 2.0.43). Are there corresponding APIs for 2.0? If not, what
> would I replace those calls by in 2.0? Has the programming model
> regarding timeouts changed from 1.3 in 2.0?

Timeouts in Apache 2.0 are radically different from those in 1.3.  For the
most part, you can ignore timeouts, the underlying code will handle them
properly.  For more details, look at how timeouts are set on sockets in
2.0.

>     * In 1.3, I used the method ap_send_http_header(request_rec*). This
> no longer seems to be available in 2.0. Has this been replaced by some
> other call?

You can safely remove this call from your module.  There is a filter that
is responsible for sending headers to the client.

>     * In 1.3, I used ap_bclose(BUFF*) to close connections etc. How do I
> do that in 2.0? The ap_bclose(BUFF*) does not seem to be there in 2.0.

You don't need to call anything to close the connection.  When the request
is done, the server will handle closing the connection for you.  In
reality, you most likely shouldn't have been calling ap_bclose in 1.3
either.

Ryan

>     Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> -Souvik
>
> ps:  I have googled for these issues and didn't have much luck. I am
> also looking into the source code (for 2.0 and 1.3) for hints - but
> haven't had much success yet.

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610