httpd-users mailing list archives

From jstev...@TXU.COM
Subject [users@httpd] Cannot see Large web pages?
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:20:06 GMT
Hi All, I have been looking for a solution for some time. I hope that
someone on this list can help me. I'm new to this list. I'll try and
give as much information as I can off the top of my head.

The Specs: I am using apache 1.3.23 on a SuSE Linux platform. Serving about
6 intranet web sites. It sets on an Intel dual Xenon 1.2gig
processors with about 1.5 gig of ram.

The Problem: I am unable to view html pages that are of 8meg in size or
greater. I am not sure of how "large" a html page
has to be before I cannot view it. All my "normal sized" html pages are
under one Meg.  These are standard html pages without
any other code like Java or PHP etc. No matter what browser I use, I get
the same page cannot be displayed. This is only one site that
gives me heartache. It is quite simple, it simply gathers data via shell
scripts and copies dynamically created web pages with the gathered
date to the site. This has worked like a champ until now.

What I have tried: I originally moved this site from another apache server
on an AIX 4.3.3 box. It worked like a champ there. These pages
have migrated from a AIX/apache 1.3.x server to a AIX/apache2.x server to a
SuSE Linux /apache 1.3.x server. The only server giving me fits is the
SuSE box. I have been pouring through the SuSE help and even opened a
support ticket with them and got nowhere. They claim they have never seen
such an issue before, and suggested that I go to apache. Typical support
response. I have been searching the web for answers to the problem.
I feel that this may be related to a performance or security switch that is
either on or off. Perhaps there is something that will disable the viewing
of large pages for performance or security reasons? I cannot find anything
that works. I also thought that perhaps it is purely performance related I
have set the HTTPD_PERFORMANCE to thick and made the appropriate changes to
MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers, StartServers and MaxClients
according to the documentation I found on my system. Nothing I have tried
has worked so far. I have even downgraded the latest apache 2.x tar ball
and compiled it in it's own directory. I just don't know how to run 2
completely separate web servers on the same box. I don't even know if that
is worth the effort if I can find the fix for the problem.

Any help or pointers or thoughts on this???

Signed ... 1 whipped puppy ;-(

contains or may contain confidential information intended only for the
addressee.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message, be
advised that any reading, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying
or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.
immediately by reply message and delete this email message and any
attachments from your system.