httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Koen Vingerhoets" <koen.vingerho...@ubench.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Frontpage Server Extensions on Win2kpro Apache and Where should I start reading?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:24:33 GMT
Hi,

well I think you should lol but not that it really matters...  I'll put this
on the list again, even if it's a little out topic.

1) IIS is part of Windows 2000.  If you select add/remove programs, add
windows components, you'll see it pop in there.  IIS.  Make sure it's
patched heh... Insecure as a kindergarten.  It's not hard to configure :)

2) Apache and IIS won't conflict if you put IIS at another port (let's say
81).  There are big differences between Apache on Windows and on UNIX...

3) I HATE FP extensions.  Not many web servers support them, they're
useless, and can be easily made in other languages (DHTML).  IMHO, it's just
another MS spoiler for the people who really don't want to put in any
effort.  As I see you have several editors, I don't think you go without
effort.  For myself, I use 1stpage2000, DreamWeaver MX and HomeSite 5.0.
But I also edit a lot in Notepad :)
If you really want some other stuff: http://www.hotscripts.com is the place
to be.
An ASP hitcounter are only a few lines.

4) You don't need FrontPage at all.  WYSIWYG is cool, but other editors
(especially DreamWeaver) have it too.  FP is really really generous with
code.  Just hit the HTML button in the bottom from time to time... If you
put cleaner tools on it, they freak.  FP is really not needed.
I make 3 folders usually: /pages , /incs, /pics
/pages is for the pages
/pics for the pictures
/incs for jscripts or pieces of code I want to use muktiple times
You really don't need the FrontPage crap.  IMHO, HomeSite is one of the best
editors around, it's fairly easy to use and not so buttonstuffed as
DreamWeaver.

5) I started with HTML and Javascript like 3 years ago (www.sofia.be)
Quickly after that, I learned flash (www.sofia.be)
Then I learned CFML as well (www.sofia.be)
About 2 years ago, I started on ASP (www.ladri.be ;
www23.brinkster.com/ribbedebie)
Around the same time I switched jobs and started on JSP (www.ubclaims.com)
A year ago DHTML took my attention
(www.studiant.be/koen/hydro/pages/nl/p100000.asp)
Meanwhile I learned WML, I'll built a WAP site soon as my GF has a WAP
enabled gsm now :)
Then I started administration on a game, so I learned PHP (www.shimlar.com)
I added SQL to talk to Access, DB2 and MySQL databases.

IMO, ASP is fairly easy to use, with some really great sites
(www.4guysfromrolla.com)
But the base is HTML....  I started on FrontPage as well, but I never used
the extensions, and I learned HTML by switching between the HTML and the
"View".
But try out HomeSite, it's my favourite.

I hope this helps.

Koen