httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cs-HB <...@arthur.no.info.hu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Getting apache to recognize changes in httpd.conf "on the fly"
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 07:32:01 GMT
Mike,

try "apachectl graceful". It isn't exactly what you want, but....

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/apachectl.html
     graceful    Gracefully restarts the Apache daemon by sending
                 it a SIGUSR1.  If the daemon is not running,  it
                 is started.  This differs from a normal  restart
                 in  that  currently  open  connections  are  not
                 aborted.  A side effect is that  old  log  files
                 will not be closed immediately.  This means that
                 if used in a log rotation script, a  substantial
                 delay  may  be  necessary to ensure that the old
                 log files are  closed  before  processing  them.
                 This command automatically checks the configura-
                 tion files via configtest before initiating  the
                 restart to make sure  Apache  doesn't  die.   On
                 certain  platforms that  do not allow USR1 to be
                 used  for  a  graceful  restart,  an alternative
                 signal may be used  (such as WINCH).   apachectl
                 graceful will send  the right  signal  for  your
                 platform.