httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tyson Bourbina <ty...@umr.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Problems setting up CGI scripts in user directories
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:58:48 GMT
I am setting up a web server for our department at school and I keep
getting a 500 error: Internal Server Error.  I am very new to this, and
I have set up the server for multiple users.  I have a public_html
directory for each user's html files, and I am trying to add
availability to use CGI scripts in their directories also.  I have the
scriptalias set as:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/dept/public_html/cgi-bin/    (note user is
dept)

I also have the handler set as:

AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

I then have the directory listed at the end of the configuration file
like this:

<Directory  "/home/user1/public_html/cgi-bin/">
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

I get the CGI script to work fine when I go to the web address in the
cgi-bin directory and run the file, but when I try to go to the
individual user's directories, I get the 500 error.  I appreciate any
help I can get.  I have read and tried the documentation at the apache
website on dynamic content with CGI and I have the correct permissions
on the pertinent directories.  Thanks.

Tyson
tyson@umr.edu