httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lee Grey" <leeg...@mindspring.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] JAVASCRIPT VIRII - myth? or fact?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:56:38 GMT
This sounds like a bug in the Javascript interpreter.  Like Java, Javascript
is supposed to be in a sandbox and unable to do such things.

Lee Grey
http://www.URLinOne.com

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Greenlees [mailto:jaqui@shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 4:47 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] JAVASCRIPT VIRII - myth? or fact?

Anders Widman wrote:
>>Everyone:

>>>actually was

>>That's frightening.  Does anyone have a link or something?  I've not heard
>>of this so I'd like to read up on it.

>>That's not a very realistic fix.

>>>computer.

>>>And if you are using a browser that supports manipulating files on the
>>>filesystem.....  Remember,  most  browsers  do  not  allow  for  this,
>>>especially without prompting.
>>

>>Does anyone know which browser will do this with and without prompting?
>

> Yes.  Microsoft  Internet  Explorer, Microsoft Outlook, MSN Messenger,
> Microsoft  Outlook Express, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel..... There
> are more.......
>

>> ~ Robert

and netscape,
my wife was running netscape 7.0
zone alarm pro ( with script blocking enabled)
Norton Antivirus 2003

it still got through.

disable javascript and search google for javascript virus
symantec had a couple of known ones.
the page that infected her was in the netherlands.
I did send an email to the isp hosting the site.

disabling javascript is the only option until the antivirus software can
catch the javascript virii.
at least if you don't want to risk the infection.

this type of thing can be done with any scripting language, though
clientside is easier to do it with, even server side can be corrupted
like this.