httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Srividhya Subramanian" <ssubraman...@oblix.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache spawning child processes
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:17:16 GMT
We have 3 Apache 1.3.22 on RedHat Linux 7.2 with
The httpd.conf on each of the Apache servers have the following set.

StartServers 256
MinSpareServers 150
MaxSpareServers 300
MaxClients 256
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

We have a webserver plugin that communicates with a service on Solaris 8 for
authentication of users.
We are stress testing these systems  by using a testing tool called Application Center test
from Microsoft by generating 500 concurrent login requests to each of the 3 webservers.

The tests run fine for sometime and after about 5 hours into the testing, we see a very large
number of
the following  message "Child pid <pid> exit signal File size limit exceeded (25)" in
the Apache error logs.
The message indicates child httpd processes are created and they exit due to some condition.
This causes an increase in the number of threads in the daemon process till it eventually
runs out of memory, causing it to core dump.

The question really is why does Apache create the high number of child processes even under
this load?  The MaxRequestsPerChild set to 0 indicates that each child process should handle
an unlimited number of requests, and there should be no need to create new apache processes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Srividhya