httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William C (Bill) Jones" <wcjo...@fccj.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re virtual hosts - local network
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 14:48:26 GMT
[This is becoming OT  :]

On 10/3/02 8:42 AM, "Peter" <pgoggin@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Where can I find instructions for setting up the DNS ?

Well, I don't do it myself - I use DynDNS.Org --

Look at
http://support.dyndns.org/whitepapers/dnsquery.php
http://support.dyndns.org/whitepapers/nat.php

For everyting you've ever wanted to know, research:
http://cis4dl.sourceforge.net/  (Look at the left side Blue Column.)

Specifically -
http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/

> Should this be on the linux box?

Doesn't really matter too much - but Linux is free.

> The linux box will have two Ethernet cards, on for the local network and the
> other for the DSL connection.  Presumably for the local network I do not
> need to worry about firewalls, but will have to do this for the internet
> connection.

Yes - IPChains is good.

> Any advice will be accepted gratefully.
>
> I have tried reading the manuals about virtual hosts but they confuse me

Are you sure you know what you are getting into?  Maybe you want to get
professional help to at least start you off on the right track?

Just interested in seeing you start off on the right foot.  Covalent would
be a good source for getting help.

-Bill-  :]
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -