httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William C (Bill) Jones" <wcjo...@fccj.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual host question
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 19:07:04 GMT
On 10/2/02 3:02 PM, "Chad Arimura" <news-apache@alldorm.com> wrote:

> Please let me know if you find a way!  I tried for awhile but settled for
> mixing IP and name-based vhosting.
>
> Chad

Actually unless I am totally brain dead (which after using Apache since 1995
I may in fact be now at this point)

I feel this is not so much a SSL/Apache issue - more of a inet/port issue.

Think about it - HTTPS wants to talk to you via 443 - one one IP address per
port.  In a multi IP inet environment you get binds to work on the same PORT
but differentiated by IP (or in the case of HTTP/1.1 'host' command.)

We would want it to work without having to change the client software -
which we don't have access to anyways.  What can be done then?

Well, we can use two Apache source trees and two modssl source trees - both
talking on the  IP but different ports.  Say 443 and 4430 ...

But no; they are right at the modssl site -- There is no other way without
breaking the HTTPS default port.

It can be done. I feel it in my old Apache bones.

-Bill-  :]
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...