httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alastair Roy <Alastair....@Express.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] More problems
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 08:31:00 GMT
OK I have created a user called apache as well as a group called apache,
changed all the files in apache2 so they are owned by apache with the group
as apache, I get the same problem, so just as a test I changed all files so
they are owned by root, and I still get the same problem. What am I missing
??

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 4:41 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] More problems

Not quite...

I'm not sure about apache2 (which is multi-threaded) but in apache 1.3.x,
you start the parent process as root. This then spawns the various httpd
servers as "apache" (assuming you have defined "User apache").

All the apache processes (servers) which actually interact with the internet
(and are hence open to attack) have only the limited privileges of this
user.

If you start apache as root, apache can listen to any port (usually 80). If
you start apache as a less user, you have to define the Listen port as
>1024.

Read the docs on User and Group to get a clearer idea of what's going on.