httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian J. Stewart" <br...@BSManagement.com>
Subject [users@httpd] works on Apache 1.3.26, but not on 2.0.42 (server won't start)
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:49:17 GMT
We are currently running both MS IIS5 and Apache 1.3.26 on several Windows
2000 Advanced Servers, each web server has its own dedicated IP
address.  Now we are trying to upgrade to the new 2.x series of Apache and
it is not working.   FYI: We always have to start IIS first, then the
Apache service, but at least it works this way, but not at all with 2.x.

We have two IPs bound to the same NIC in the machines.   I have configured
IIS to bind specifically to its own IP in both the FTP and IIS settings
within the MS Console.
-------------
I am just testing Apache2 from command-line for the moment (starting via
services yields the same failure)

C:\>D:\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe -w -n "Apache2" -k start
(730048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network
address/port)  i
s normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address
165.xxx.xxx.xxx:80
Unable to open logs

The only change I have made at this point to the stock httpd.conf is around
line #124 regarding the LISTEN directive:

Listen 165.xxx.xxx.xxx:80

If I change the LISTEN directive to use a non-80 port, then it fires up
just fine with IIS5 running.  Once again I repeat, IIS5 is on IP#1, Apache
is on IP#2.
-------------
If I take a stock Apache 1.3.26 httpd.conf, then I apply the following to
the LISTEN and BIND directives:

Listen 165.xxx.xxx.xxx:80
BindAddress 165.xxx.xxx.xxx

I can run Apache 1.3.x and IIS5 at the same time without any problems.  I
can replicate this problem on 3 different servers.
-------------
My guess is that Apache 2.x is incorrectly detecting IIS's bind to the
OTHER IP address on port 80, and then failing.... something in the startup
bind/logic which was changed in the 2.x seems to be the blame at this point.

Just wondering if anyone had some thoughts, ideas before I post to
Bugzilla.... I have not seen anyone else having similar issues when I have
run Google web/group searches.

Brian Stewart
Chief Information Officer / BSManagement
www.BSManagement.com
"Abusing the internet, so you don't have to."
913.707-9073 Voice