httpd-users mailing list archives

From Diego Cimarosti ...@rete039.it>
Subject [users@httpd] Bug in error 401 customization?
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:34:17 GMT
I have a small intranet running with apache 1.3.20 on Red Hat 7.2.

I have one password protected directory:

<Directory /home/httpd/html/mysite/protecteddir/>
   AuthName "Please provide a password"
   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/htpasswd
   require valid-user
</Directory>

Everything worked just fine, since I decided to add a custom 401 error
page. I put this in virtualhost directory

     ErrorDocument 401 /unauthorized.php

It works fine, but it seems to override password protection when it is
cached in Internet Explorer.
This is what happens: I fail authorization request, and fall into the
customized 401 error page. This page has an automatic redirection to the
index page (in five seconds). After I have been redirected to the index
page, if I just hit back on the browser toolbar, I get to the page that was
supposed to be password protected. The same thing happens without
redirection; just go to another page after custom 401 page, and go back again.
This happens only if the page is cached (the problem disapperars if i clear
browser cache), and only with the custom page (no problems with standard
page, even with cached password protected page).

Any suggestions?
TIA
Diego Cimarosti