httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Install
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:53:05 GMT

Go into the config file, go to line 88 and comment out that directive.
It probably says:

LoadModule ssl_module ...

You only need this if you want to run with SSL support. Check also for
other directives which need SSL - they all begin with "SSL" so do "grep
SSL /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf" and comment them out.

>What is /usr/sbin/httpd then?

This is apache. This is the actual machine code program that your
computer is loading into memory and running. Do "file /usr/sbin/httpd"
and it will tell you that it is a 32-bit executable for an i686 and so
on.

The other file is /etc/init.d/httpd which is a shell-script. That is,
it's a short program written in the bourne-shell which handles the
starting and stopping of apache - it calls the executable. This is an
ascii file so you can read it (you should read it and see how it works -
it is quite informative). In the "classic" distribution, this is called
"apachectl" which is what everyone was telling you to look for earlier.

I'm off home now, but do post back and say how you got on..

break a leg!

views of the sender's company.