httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Setting up multiple web sites on a local network
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:57:30 GMT
Apache listens to IP addresses - not domain names. To convert domain
names to IPs is the job of DNS. If it is just a local system you can put
the mapping the /etc/hosts file (on unix) or look for the file called
"Hosts" on windows.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter [mailto:pgoggin@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Montag, 14. Oktober 2002 15:52
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Setting up multiple web sites on a local network

I have a windows network, with  apache running on one win98 machine.
Currently the site, which has a mysql database,  can be accesses via the
IP
address or the machine name.  This accesses the default site.

I want to set up two (or more) sites and have them accesses using domain
names, e.g.
www.vantweststamsp.com.au and www.agift.com.au.
(These are real domain names and eventually when development is finished
the sites will be moved to a local wb server on a linux box and
connected to the internet via ADSL and an IP Cop box.)

Initially this will be set up on my local network, with no reference to
the internet, hence I have to provide my own translation of web name to
IP address.

I am not clear how to do this. I realise virtual hosing will be
involved,
but how do I get the network to translate both names to the same IP
address?

Where will I find some examples of what the apache config file will need
look like to set up virtual hosts?

Regards

Peter Goggin

---