httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] why does my virutal site data get served when accessing the default site?
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:01:57 GMT
Because you told it to.

	NameVirtualHost *
means:
	"Check for name-based virtual hosts on all interfaces"

Therefore the server will consider every request as a NBVH request. It
will therefore look in its one and only VH container and try to match
the "Host" header with the ServerName argument. If it fails, it will
default to the *first* VH container - which is still the same one...

The point is that once you decide to use VHs, you should forget about
"default" sites which are external to VHs. In other words, you should
put all site specific directives *inside* VH containers. You can still
achieve the default effect by using the behaviour described above to
your advantage, e.g.

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
	ServerName any_name_you_like
	DocumentRoot /path/to/default/site
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
	ServerName mailman.englab.brocade.com
	DocumentRoot /path/to/mailman/site
</VirtualHost>

Now a request to "mailman.englab.brocade.com" will match the 2nd VH and
get the mailman site. A request which does *not* match mailman will
default to the first VH - even though it doesn't match
"any_name_you_like".

Rgds,

Owen Boyle