httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem starting apache - Ouch! ap_mm_create()
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:14:02 GMT
This error comes from the MM shared-memory routines that are used by
mod_ssl. What happens is that the MM library asks for a larger amount of
shared-memory than the kernel is configured to provide. This can happen
if you compile the MM library on one machine but access it from another.

One fix is to check shmsys:shminfo_shmmax in /etc/system and to set it
to the size the ap_mm_create() routine is requesting (or larger), i.e.

	set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=1048576

Alternatively, recompile the MM library on the server and it will pick
up the local shmmax from the kernel.

This problem comes up frequently on the mod_ssl list and this reply is a
summary of the threads there:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&w=2&r=1&s=failed+to+acquir
e+shared+memory+segment&q=b

P.S. the "No such file or directory" error comes from the OS and is a
consequence of ap_mm_create() failing to create the shared-memory file
(i.e. the next step checks if it exists and finds it doesn't).

-----Original Message-----
From: abw [mailto:abw@synapseglobal.com]
Sent: Montag, 21. Oktober 2002 20:09
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] problem starting apache

I'm having a very strange problem. We have Solaris 8 on a sparcstation
and
the OS had to be reinstalled last night. The same version was put back.

We are still using apache 1.3.19 on that server, and as far as apache
goes,
nothing has changed. When I try to start apache I get this error:

Ouch! ap_mm_create(1048576, "/...path.../httpd.mm.1259") failed
Error: MM: mm:core: failed to acquire shared memory segment (Invalid
argument):
OS: No such file or directory

The path above is actually right, I just changed it in the message.

I have never seen this error before. What might I have to do? I really
don't
want to recompile apache.

Thanks!
Aaron