httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stone, Timothy" <tst...@cityofhbg.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Testing if a Webserver is down
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:09:36 GMT
You might want to consider the work of the UltraMonkey project (www.ultramonkey.org).

A bit overkill I think for your needs but worth investigating. It uses a "floating IP" and
a "heartbeat" program to do exactly what you describe, albeit in a very dedicated way for
high availability.

So weigh your needs with your environment. If this is a "user" site, maybe too much. If this
is a intranet/internet for a commercial entity, then maybe UltraMonkey is worth the look see.
(If I had fewer Linux-phobic-We-worship-at-the-Church-of-Gates-Micros~1 network admins, I
would have deployed this for my environment.)

Regards,
Tim