httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Hide the URL when Downloading a File
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:40:32 GMT
Bob Ramsey wrote:

> This isn't really an apache solution, but it is a web server solution.
> If you want only authorized people to view a pdf (or any kind of file)
> store it in a database.  They'll have to go through you to get it out.

Well, that is a little bit of overkill.  You just need to store it in an
area that is not directly accessible through the webserver.  Then you
have your PHP script deliver it directly to the client (the equivalent
of system('cat /path/to/file.pdf') (but don't actually do it that way!).

But note that this solution will kill the byte-serving (page-at-a-time)
ability of Acrobat.

I'm not sure of any better way, other than writing your restrictions as
an apache module.

Joshua.