httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:27:11 GMT
Ian Stuart wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 15:38, Dan Stephens wrote:
>
>>    I'm running RH 7.2 on my server and was running 1.3.something.
>>
>Redhat 7.2 (i386..)
>
>>-I installed httpd-2.0.40 from a tarball and I think I did it correctly
>>(tar xvf, make, make install, make clean, ./configure), but my box
>>still doesn't seem to be able to find it (service start httpd comes
>>back with httpd isn't installed
>>
>OK, assuming you've typed this correctly, you havn't installed it
>correctly :)
>
>I always do my installs as a non-root user, installing relative to the
>"home directory" of the user.
>
>I also configure with APACI.
>
>To see how >I< build apache 2, see
>http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/tutorials/apache/index.html#2.x

um you didn't really ./configure after make make install make clean did you?
that is what it looks like, and could also have caused many errors
during the install process.

installing as root for something like apache is probably a better idea,
simply because then it doesn't get hit with the non root users limits.