httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin Georgeson <jgeorge...@unboundtech.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtualhost problem, apache 1.3.23 on RedHat 7.3
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:46:00 GMT
Well, changing _default_ to * on both vhosts fixed it. I can't figure
out from the dos why, but whatever, it's working now.

Lee Fellows wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 11:32, Justin Georgeson wrote:
>
>>Can anybody help me here? I really want to have requests for secure and
>>insecure go to different roots. Would including more of my httpd.conf
>>file help? Please.
>>
>>Justin Georgeson wrote:
>>
>>>I'm running 1.3.23-14 on RedHat 7.3. I have the config shown below
>>>(that's not the whole thing, but I believe those are all the relevant
>>>parts) and am unable to access the https vhost. I can telnet to it
>>>(telnet my.server.tld 443). In /var/log/httpd/error_log I see " Invalid
>>>method in request L" when I point a browser to https://my.server.tld.
>>>I'm confused why the invalid request doesn't get put in
>>>/var/log/httpd/ssl-error_log.
>>

>   Because it is _not_ an ssl error?
>

>>>IE gives a page cannot be displayed
>>>message. Mozilla doesn't really do anything, no error, no nothing, just
>>>sits there. :( The key and cert are generated by openssl. I made a
>>>self-signed cert. Showing the text of it works fine with openssl
>>>(openssl x509 -in server.crt -text -noout). Perms on them are 600.
>>>
>>>Curious, why does pointing a browser to http://other.server.tld load the
>>>_default_:* vhost?
>>

>   Because VirtualHosts, once defined, override any main server
>   configuration.
>
>   All of your questions are answered in the documentation at
>   http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/.
>

>>>---- begin config sample
>>>
>>>DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
>>>ServerName other.server.tld
>>

>   Do you have Listen 80 and Listen 443 in your conf file?
>

>>>NameVirtualHost *
>>>
>>><VirtualHost _default_:*>
>>>DocumentRoot "/var/www/html_insecure"
>>>ServerName my.server.tld
>>></VirtualHost>
>>>
>>><VirtualHost _default_:443>
>>>DocumentRoot "/var/www/html_secure"
>>>ServerName my.server.tld
>>>ErrorLog logs/ssl-error_log
>>>TransferLog logs/ssl-access_log
>>>SSLEngine on
>>>SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
>>>SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key
>>><Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
>>>     SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>>></Files>
>>><Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
>>>     SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
>>></Directory>
>>>SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
>>>          nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>>>          downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
>>>CustomLog logs/ssl_request_log \
>>>           "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"
>>></VirtualHost>

Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.
http://www.unboundtech.com
Main   713.329.9330
Fax    713.460.4051
Mobile 512.789.1962

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)