httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache spawning child processes
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:02:55 GMT
Srividhya Subramanian wrote:

> The tests run fine for sometime and after about 5 hours into the testing, we see a very
large number of
> the following  message "Child pid <pid> exit signal File size limit exceeded (25)"
in the Apache error logs.

Sounds like, perhaps, one of your log files is exceeding the filesystem
file-size limit.

> The message indicates child httpd processes are created and they exit due to some condition.
This causes an increase in the number of threads in the daemon process till it eventually
runs out of memory, causing it to core dump.

> The question really is why does Apache create the high number of child processes even
under this load?  The MaxRequestsPerChild set to 0 indicates that each child process should
handle an unlimited number of requests, and there should be no need to create new apache processes.

> Any help is appreciated.

Apache is creating new children because the old children are dying.  If
it doesn't do that, there would eventually be no children left.  In your
particular case, the filesystem problem is causing an infinite loop of
child-creation.  There is really no way to detect that for Apache,
because the error looks temporary, but is in fact permanent.

Joshua.