httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matt Harris <...@mdh.si.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] The virtual hosts
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:12:01 GMT
spanning down the tree - since DNS "is" "sort-of" a directory service,
it can be spanned to some extent.  A lot of people have setup their
servers in such a way as to deny this nowadays, but not many people
genuinely care about security, so you can still often span the DNS tree
and be at least a little bit effective.  IE:
Let's say I have an IP address 160.111.2.8.  I want to find internet
hostnames (A record) which point to it.
I'd simply have to query the root servers for a list of domains on the
internet, then query their servers (which are in the NS records on the
root servers) to get a list of all A records and subdomains for each
domain, then span down to their subdomains, and so-on, so-forth.

Jeremiah Grossman wrote:

> What exactly is spanning DNS?

/*
 *