httpd-users mailing list archives

From Greg Baumgartel <gbaum...@qmail.qwest.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.27 Segmentation Faults
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 17:28:30 GMT
Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:02:36AM -0700, Cindy Ballreich wrote:
>
>>(I asked this question yesterday on comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix. I apologize
if this is the second time you are seeing it.)

>>Yesterday I installed 1.3.27 in response to the recent security warnings and I've
already noticed a couple of problems.

>>The biggest one is that RedirectMatch seems to be broken. Whenever I try to send a
url from a browser that should trigger RedirectMatch, all I get is a "Document Contains no
Data" error. The httpd error_log shows segmentation faults...

>>[Mon Oct  7 18:34:58 2002] [notice] child pid 27526 exit signal Segmentation fault
(11)
>>[Mon Oct  7 18:34:59 2002] [notice] child pid 27529 exit signal Segmentation fault
(11)
>>[Mon Oct  7 18:36:06 2002] [notice] child pid 27528 exit signal Segmentation fault
(11)

>>Redirect does not appear to have this problem. Perhaps this might be a regex issue?
A problem with mod_alias? Something else? This functionality was working great in 1.3.26 (and
in 1.3.24) so I don't think my directives are at fault. I'm wondering if anyone else is having
similar problems and might know a workaround, or if anyone could suggest a mistake I might
have made during the
>>build process. (Everything seemed to go fine with no errors, and I used the config.status
from 1.3.26 as a template for configuring 1.3.27.)

>>I'd really appreciate any help.
>

> I actually get identical errors in 1.3.26! I have posted them here and
> got no response...

I posted about a similar error yesterday.  The OS is Solaris 8.  For me, it
happens after it reads a .htaccess file in a given directory.  I tried both
1.3.26 and 1.3.27, and got the error with both.  I tried building with both
gcc 3.2 and 2.95-3.  Same result.  So trying to track down exactly where it
was coming from, I decided to compile with the -ggdb option to the compiler
(added as the CFLAGS variable before the configure script).  As soon as I
did this, Basic authentication worked and I didn't get the seg faults, but
it did seg fault in the mod_securid module.  So I compiled that with -ggdb
to see where it was segfaulting, by attaching gdb to the running child
httpd process.  As soon as I did that, it stopped segfaulting.  So I
decided to recompile everything without -ggdb and see what happened.  They
all stopped segfaulting and everything works fine now.

Please let me know if this makes any sense to anyone, it sure doesn't to
me.  I'm trying to think of something that may have changed in order to get
it to stop segfaulting, but can't.  I would attribute it to quirkyness in
the relatively new gcc 3.2, but the segfaults still happened in 2.95-3....

It might be worth it to just try compiling (server and all the modules)
with -ggdb (assuming you're using GCC to build it), even if it doesn't
magically stop the segfaults like it did for me, you can use gdb to track
where exactly in the code the segfault happens.

Greg Baumgartel                                         (303) 226-9941
Qwest Information Technologies
Lead SW Development Engineer                  gbaumgar@qmail.qwest.net