httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Guidance before I leap...
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:38:33 GMT
Jacob Coby wrote:

>>I thought of running linux instead of windows on my machine which
>>will do the hosting.  For someone without any knowledge of non-windows,
>>will configuring Apache be considered difficult on linux?  I'm a
>>quick learner and usually figure things out by example.
>>

>Difficult?  No, not really if you install XWindows.  With RedHat, SuSe, and
>Mandrake, they all have good GUIs that work well.  I've never installed
>RedHat as a server with X installed, but SuSe and Mandrake have nice tools
>to start/stop apache.
>
>As a side note, X can be a resource hog and can crash hard.

with linux boxes you don't have to even be logged in for the servers to
be running.
you can restart the comp and turnthe monitor off, don't touch for a week
and then login and check, everything that was configured right would
have been running properly. ( not recommended but possible )
set the default runlevel to 3 and the x server ( gui ) won't start
automatically.
take the time to read the descriptions when installing a package to make
sure it is something you really do need.

>If you know how to use a command line, running http,ftp, pop3 servers is
>pretty easy.  Installing apache from source takes about 5min to extract,
>compile, and install.  Another few min to configure, and you should be good
>to go.
>
>FTP is pretty easy too, I recommend Pro-FTPD or PureFTPd.  Avoid wu-ftpd.

Mandrake ships with pro-ftp as default ftp server, it does have a couple
of other ftp servers as well.
they also have wizards for configuring the servers, for postfix, apache
and wu-ftp.