httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2nd Domain
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 19:57:06 GMT
Martin Hynd wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have a linux box with RedHat 7.3 and I use it to serve web pages for a
> domain which I own. It is registered with freeparking.co.uk and works by
> freeparking diverting requests for the web pages to my linux box. I am far
> from an expert in this but what I think I am trying to say is that
> freeparking manage my DNS.

You need to be sure about that.  One way you can check is to do an
"nslookup" on your domain name, and make sure it returns the IP address
of your machine.  If freeparking is doing fancy redirection, proxying,
or framing, rather than plain DNS, then you can't use virtual hosts.

> As far as I can see all I have to do is add something like the following to
> httpd.conf:
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>    ServerAdmin user@domain.com
>    DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html
>    ServerName www.domain.com
>    ErrorLog logs/error_log
>    CustomLog logs/acces_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Is there anything else I would need to do with Apache? Or anything else at
> all?

You need a "NameVirtualHost *" directive, plus you need a <VirtualHost
*> block for each host that you will be serving, including your own.

Joshua.