httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Persson <e...@persson.tm>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Whats happening on rewrite
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 21:40:23 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:
> I confirm that the scheme works with Netscape but fails with IE.
Great to get confirmation of the problem, I started to think I'm stupid.

> So what seems to be happening is that Netscape works because it obeys
 >the HTTP spec and treats the mime-type as authoritative. However, IE
 >violates this spec (this is well known) and tries to make its own
 >judgement about the file based on its name etc. I think your funny
 >redirect URL is screwing it up - possibly it thinks index.com is
 >another site... Anyway, the fix is to remove the redirect flag from the
 >rewrite rule so that the PDF content is returned immediately from the
 >first URL. Then mime-type and file-type will match and even IE will be
happy.
Yes, its common that IE/(other msproducts) ignore mimetype/contenttypes
and uses the filenamesuffix to determine the type instead.
But since I dont use the [R] flag, apache should send any 302 headers or
something like that, or should it?

My guess is as long as IE is held on a "need-to-know-basis" that
http://www.sika.se/Produktblad/Sika-1%20PB.PDF actually is a "real"
directory and filestructure, it should work.
As Boyle Owen  mentioned, "If you are not using the [R] flag, then all
the rewriting is done on the server side", my conclusion is that apache
shouldnt send any headers at all really to the browser. Or am I wrong on
this?

Thanks for your help,
    Eric