httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uh...@fantomas.sk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "bad user nobody" - why nobody?
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:25:39 GMT
-> > when I try to run apache, it complains about bad user nobody. However, I
-> > configured it to run under different user - why does it want nobody?
->
-> What is the verbatim error message that you are receiving? Usually, a
-> message like this would mean that you have a user name in the 'User'
-> directive that does not correspond with a valid user. However, your
-> comment that you have this configured as a different user seems to make
-> that unlikely.
->
-> So, if you could tell us exactly what the error message is, that might
-> help.

well - i have set up small chrooted environment ... everything needed is
there - binaries, libraries, configs, data.

However when I start apache, it asks for user nobody even if it doesn't use
it:

%sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/httpd-home.sh start
httpd: bad user name nobody
%

if I add user nobody and roup nogroup, server starts OK.

looking at truss (strace) diffs it looks like apache checks for
user nobody and group nogroup even before it opens its config file...
I don't understand why...

FreeBSD-4.6.2 is my OS
--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.