httpd-users mailing list archives

From david hawcroft <abrog...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Frontpage Server Extensions on Win2kpro Apache and Where should I start reading?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:21:45 GMT

Hello again Koen,

 thanks for your post about IIS and such.

  If I put IIS up on another port I guess I'll have to go to the LAN
manager and ask him to configure the Sygate server to allow traffic
to that port, too? He only knows Chinese (this is China) and I got
info from Sygate and went there and configured it myself to let
traffic in to my server on port 80. And it was point and click.. I
don't remember any place to open other ports... I guess it'll be
there...

 I think what's being said is that I must put up IIS to get the
FPServer extensions and that those extensions will then automatically
be available to the Apache Server?

 So I could disable IIS - or the Microsoft Web Server - once the
Extensions were up and available?

> 3) I HATE FP extensions.  Not many web servers support them,
> they're useless, and can be easily made in other languages (DHTML).

  Well there's this other man seems to be saying major sites use them
successfully. I guess I should try.

> effort.  For myself, I use 1stpage2000, DreamWeaver MX and HomeSite
> 5.0.
> But I also edit a lot in Notepad :)

I haven't even tried 1stpage yet. And I trashed Dreamweaver if I
remember right because it was a demo with too limited a life - it
takes me a long time to check something out (because I do everything
at once, many things) and if the demo is hurrying me I throw it away
and look for something else.

I don't know MX or Homesite. I'll look for them.

> If you really want some other stuff: http://www.hotscripts.com is
> the place
> to be.

Thanks for the URL. I will check it out.

> An ASP hitcounter are only a few lines.

I don't know anything about ASP - I've just started on Perl and PHP.

> 4) You don't need FrontPage at all.  WYSIWYG is cool, but other

 that's what I'm asking.. thanks..

> You really don't need the FrontPage crap.  IMHO, HomeSite is one of
> the best
> editors around, it's fairly easy to use and not so buttonstuffed as
> DreamWeaver.

  I will check it out.

> 5) I started with HTML and Javascript like 3 years ago
> (www.sofia.be)
> Quickly after that, I learned flash (www.sofia.be)
> Then I learned CFML as well (www.sofia.be)
> About 2 years ago, I started on ASP (www.ladri.be ;
> www23.brinkster.com/ribbedebie)
> Around the same time I switched jobs and started on JSP
> (www.ubclaims.com)
> A year ago DHTML took my attention
> (www.studiant.be/koen/hydro/pages/nl/p100000.asp)
> Meanwhile I learned WML, I'll built a WAP site soon as my GF has a
> WAP
> enabled gsm now :)

Of all those acronyms only HTML and Javascript are known to me...
good god.. am I going to have to learn all that? Surely not?
But thanks for the URL's. I'm very curious. I'll go have a look. And
probably bog myself down again with yet more things..... but it's
fun. But it doesn't make any money... But that doesn't matter... Or
does it...

> Then I started administration on a game, so I learned PHP
> (www.shimlar.com)
> I added SQL to talk to Access, DB2 and MySQL databases.
>
> IMO, ASP is fairly easy to use, with some really great sites
> (www.4guysfromrolla.com)
> But the base is HTML....  I started on FrontPage as well, but I
> never used
> the extensions, and I learned HTML by switching between the HTML
> and the
> "View".
> But try out HomeSite, it's my favourite.
>
> I hope this helps.

  It helps, mate. It'll keep me busy for a long time. Thanks.

 I got two or three other posting after yours and I've responded to
them first...might bugger up the list a bit.. I hope not... I worked
downward on my inbox instead of upwards.. sorry...

  So where am I now?  I seem to have an answer:

  You don't need FrontPage at all, never mind the extensions.
  It is a nightmare to administer.
  Many people hate it.
  But it does work. On large sites. Almost the tool of choice there.
  For smaller sites there's better tools.
  The extensions are better (more general) written in other
languages.

  But:  Yes... I can have the Extensions on Win2K. Load up IIS, load
up extensions. Disable the Web Server.

  Site administration:

   No answers yet unless your list of everything you learned is the
path, Koen..  I'll never make it if it is.... :(

  regards,
 abrogard.