httpd-users mailing list archives

From PeterKorman <calvin-apache...@eigenvision.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Border server?
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:36:39 GMT
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:07:40PM +1000, Andrew Kenna wrote:
> Possibly a sacraficial server to take all the crap from the internet that might be based
at his ISP, the border server takes all the crap and only filters on correct requests to the
internal web server.

No. It's not at the ISP. It sits behind me on my left, in my
basement.

> PeterKorman wrote:
>
> > I have a border server (Connected to my ISP) running Apache 1.3.X I have
> > an internal server running Apache 1.3.X as well.
>
> Probably a dumb question, but what's a border server, and why is it used?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Robert

I guess I'm using the term border in the most general
possible sense.

If you have a dirt poor company that can only afford
1 internet connection and 1 IP address, then everything
'inside' the company on the 192.168.x.y side if the
server is somewhat trusted. Everything 'outside'
the company is somewhat 'untrusted'.

So the server/firewall/proxy/ethernet-interface/PC
that talks to the 'outside' world forms a kind
of 'border'. Since it's a server, I arrived at
the description 'border server'.

I'm not implying that's the lingo that makes it most
clear, but it seems more descriptive than 'the
PC in the corner of my basement' in the context of
an apache users forum.

If there is another common term that everyone will
understand, I'll be glad to use it.

Regards,

JPK