httpd-users mailing list archives

From PeterKorman <calvin-apache...@eigenvision.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy Through Virtual Host -- SSL Question
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:10:10 GMT
I have a border server (Connected to my ISP) running Apache 1.3.X
I have an internal server running Apache 1.3.X as well.

I figured out how to get through to the internal server
from the outside internet by going through a combination
of reverse proxy and virtual host. I was able to
get full execution access to the CGI scripts on the internal
host running sqWebMail.

I hit a snag on the SSL piece of the puzzle.

I read that the SSL protocol negotiation must be handled at
the boundary server. The one with the real public internet
address. I think I remember being convinced of that. But
beyond that I'm not clear on what is necessary.

I never got a successful SSL connection from the outside
world to the internal SQWebmail Server.

I went through Scott Hawkins and Peter Wainwright's Apache
text books. Wainwright's is pretty comprehensive. I
gleaned bits and pieces, but have yet to get a full coherent
picture of what I need to make an internal SQWebmail Server
talk to the outside world through SSL.

Can someone recommend a thread, discussion, book or any
other document that looks at this kind of thing in full
detail? Thanks.

Regards,

JPK