httpd-users mailing list archives

From sunil sharma <apache_...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] cgi error
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:46:20 GMT

Hello Friends

I am new in this list
I am getting following error in the error log files while i  try to run any cgi files

"(24)Too many open files: couldn't spawn child process"

And this is happan only with cgi scripts.
Their are near about 553 virtual hosts are configured on my server
and it was work fine till yesterday but from today it starts giving this error
Lot of time i restartd the apache server, For few minutes it work properly but again it start
giving me the same error.
i gone through lot search but i didn't get any right solutions

So can any body help me regarding this?
is their any limit of no of virtual hosts?

Thanx in advance
Following is the my server details

i am using suse linux 7.1 with kernel 2.4

apache-1.3.19-115 (installed from rpm which came with the disribution cds) with mod_ssl and
mod_jk

This is the output after ulimit

root@linux:~ > ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     0
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
open files                  1024
pipe size (512 bytes)       8
stack size (kbytes)         unlimited
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          32766
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

root@linux:~ > uname -a
Linux linux 2.4.0-64GB-SMP #1 SMP Wed Jan 24 15:52:30 GMT 2001 i686 unknown

Sunil Sharma