httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com>
Subject [users@httpd] proxypass behavior question
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:22:37 GMT
Hi;

I have a server with a virtual host, which has a DNS CNAME alias listed
as a ServerAlias.  (Apache 1.3.26 on HP-UX 10.20); here's the virtual
host slice:

<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.company.com
    ServerName toto.domain.company.com
    ServerAlias emeraldb.domain.company.com
    ProxyVia On
    ProxyPass / http://emeraldb.domain.company.com:8888/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://emeraldb.domain.company.com:8888/
</VirtualHost>

The desired behavior is that visitors go to
'http://emeraldb.domain.company.com/' and, although they're technically
connected to 'toto', they always see 'emeraldb' in their location line
on the browser.

This works fine, *EXCEPT* that when I attach a path to the end of the
URL, the underlying server exposes itself, only in IE, not in Netscape
or Mozilla:

Visitor types     http://emeraldb.domain.company.com/entry/
Location shows    http://toto.domain.company.com/entry/

This does not happen at the top level:

Visitor types     http://emeraldb.domain.company.com/
Location shows    http://emeraldb.domain.company.com/

My reading of the ProxyPass documentation indicates that the redirect
path applies to all levels below, so that '/' ought to capture '/entry/'
and so forth.

What am I missing?  Is this a fixable problem, or do I wait for MS to
patch IE (hah!), or...?

Thanks,

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams                  "Rome did not create a great empire by
 hugh_williams@agilent.com       having meetings...they did it by