httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] JAVASCRIPT VIRII - myth? or fact?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:01:44 GMT

> >>you may want to consider not having javascript enabled, this one
> >>actually deleted command.com ( or the nt family equivalent )
> >>and replaced with a corrupted one.
> >

> > That'll last all of 5 min.  You can barely use my site with
> javascript
> > disabled.  Hell, you can't even login.
> >
> and it would be a site I never visit.
> I went through the sources for my own browser to completely remove
> javascript capability.
> months ago.
> javascript is also the main culprit in pop up adds, which was the
> primary reason to remove it. then I started learning about javascript
> virii and had yet another reason to not have javascript.

The web without any type of client-side scripting language would be rather
difficult to deal with.  I can't image the browser developers never thought
of sandboxing the execution of these languages.  Well, I guess I can see it
on the IE side.

As far as pop-ups go, Mozilla and Netscape (6.x +, I believe) have a pop-up
blocker that disables that javascript function.  They removed the option to
turn it on for the commercial gold-code versions of NS, but there are some
sites out there that tell you how to turn it back on.

 ~ Robert