httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy + redirect problem
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:47:04 GMT
Mike:

> I am confused - I thought the HTTP header location field is what drives
what the browser uses (and what shows up in the URL in the browser), which
is why ProxyPassReverse sets it for redirects (according to the docs). BTW -
I don't care about Rev Proxy adjusting links within the content - there are
no absolute links there anyway.

Sending a redirect via the Location HTTP header is what is done with the
Apache Redirect directive and is often done when a server-side program of
some type (Perl, Java, etc) handles the change/move of a URL.  It's also
used by Apache in 301 and 302 responses.

I guess I wasn't making the assumption that you were for sure doing your
redirect this way.  If you are, the ProxyPassReverse should work.  If it
doesn't, the first thing would be to check the speling [sic], make sure that
the Location header that is being produced is sending a URL that will match
the url part of the ProxyPassReverse statement.  If it still doesn't work,
it might be a good idea to send in that chunk of the httpd.conf and any data
you've collected during your testing.

BTW, can you switch to using plain text in your email?

 ~ Robert