httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy + redirect problem
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:38:22 GMT
Mike:

> Using mod_proxy. Config'd like so in httpd.conf
>   ProxyPass /alias http://some-host/real-app
>   ProxyPassReverse /alias http://some-host/real-app

That looks right...

> When real-app is serving a page that does not issue redirect, everything
is cool. The URL comes back to the browser as
http://revproxyname/alias/somepage.html

...expected...

> But, when a redirect IS issued, the URL does not get adjusted by
ProxyPassReverse, and the browser gets a URL like
http://some-host/real-app/somepage.html, instead of
http://revproxyname/alias/somepage.html.

...expected...

> For us, revproxy is a DMZ box, and some-host is on our private LAN. So,
the user gets a URL that won't even resolve on the 'net.
> I thought rewriting the URL for redirects was the sole purpose of
ProxyPassReverse. Is it not?

Not entirely.  ProxyPassReverse will change the URL in the Location part of
the HTTP header.  It *will not* parse through your pages to adjust links,
meta refreshes, etc.

> This behavior is consistent on 1.3.x and 2.0.x, so I am guessing I am
doing something wrong.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, you just have the wrong
expectations.  Take a look at the documentation at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

 ~ Robert