httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] installation trouble
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:17:25 GMT
On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 10:27, J. Greenlees wrote:
> Ian Stuart wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 15:38, Dan Stephens wrote:

> >>-I installed httpd-2.0.40 from a tarball and I think I did it correctly
> >>(tar xvf, make, make install, make clean, ./configure), but my box
> >>still doesn't seem to be able to find it (service start httpd comes
> >>back with httpd isn't installed
> >>

> >To see how >I< build apache 2, see
> >http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/tutorials/apache/index.html#2.x
> >

> um you didn't really ./configure after make make install make clean did you?
> that is what it looks like, and could also have caused many errors
> during the install process.
I'm not sure which message this comment is refering to - I do configure,
make, make install for the code, then configure, test, start for the new
server...

> installing as root for something like apache is probably a better idea,
> simply because then it doesn't get hit with the non root users limits.
I install as non-root for two main reasons:
1) to be able to provide limits (via quota) on the space used, if I want
2) to provide a second layer of security - I don't like to log in as
root unless I absolutely >have< to... installing a perfectly usable web
server does not require root access - In my scheme, only the final edit
for the rcinit.d files requires root access :)

As I always say - there is my way, and then there are several other
ways. My way is not always the best way, but it's what I do :)

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty