httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache knowledge base
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:38:52 GMT
On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 15:51, Sander Holthaus - Orange XL wrote:
> It would be ideal if a users inputted his problem in a knowledge librabry,
> which would then search the appropiate solution for the users (if it
> exists). It would be presented to users in a few clear steps, with optional
> background information.
This is an admirable concept, one the Microsoft and other mainstream
vendors impliment.

The one drawback is the population of the data corpus: A knowledge
database only works if the problem descriptions & results/solutions (and
indexes) are consistent. This takes a massive effort, which requires
lots of resources.

The main vendors can afford to do this as the resources expended to set
up the knowledgebase are offset against the savings in lower resources
needed for "live" helpdesks.

Apache (and other Open Source projects) do not have live helpdesks, so
have no costs that can be saved by implimenting a knowledgebase.

An interesting concept that someone (else!) could investigate is an
Apache-Wiki - however I would raise the issue of consistency (of the
quality and accuracy) of the data.

If you are volunteering...... :)

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty