httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ?Name based virtual hosting (v2)
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:13:28 GMT
On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 19:13, David Busby wrote:
> List,
> 	I've got an apache server that I'm hosting multiple name based sites
> (x.domain.com, y.domain.com, z.domain.com) and all are on the same IP
> address,  How can I tell apache that if someone accesses the site via
> the IP address to return an error message or ???.  Pointer to a manual
> page would be great, sample even better.
Apache 1.x or 2.x?

The manual for 2.x has a great section on default servers, etc... (see
.../manual/vhosts/examples.html)

My suggestion would be to have 'x', 'y', & 'z' as seperate servers, and
have a fourth (in this case) server as the default, which deals with
no-name/IP-accessed/mis-named addressing...

> New:
> 	Or how can I make apache disallow connections from certian hosts?
Nice and simple, this one..

Don't go for a fancy solution, use

 <Location />
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from .foo.com freddy.bar.com
 </Location>

within the vhost config :)

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty