httpd-users mailing list archives

From Juha Ylitalo <juha.o.ylit...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Filesize/MD5 mismatches, when using Apache proxy...
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:59:34 GMT
On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 23:12, Jeff Beard wrote:
> Have you tried downloading 2 text files, one with and one without
> the proxy and doing a diff on them? I haven't seen this behavior
> but you should be able to see what's changing with plain text.

After your message, I decided to widen my exploration from the files
that I've actually needed to text files. First couple files came just
beautifully, but then I hit jackpot on
ftp://ftp.se.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE/HARDWARE.HTM

When I download it with "wget --passive-ftp" from my web proxy machine
(and bypass all proxies), the filesize will match with website. If I
will define ftp_proxy=http://10.10.10.1:8080/ and do same download
(through proxies, without --passive-ftp), it will go through Apache and
size will rise from 115541 bytes to 119728 bytes.

diff was useless for comparing those files (since it printed content
from both files), but when I take them to emacs, I noticed that those
files, which came through proxy are in DOS mode in Emacs, which would
hint that for some reason proxy did LF -> CR+LF conversion. This was
confirmed with 'cat HARDWARE.HTM.1 | sed s/.$// > HARDWARE.HTM', which
created proper file.
I guess next question would be that how do I tell Apache to skip that
kind of modifications, since I can't think any situation, where it
worked to my benefit.

--
Juha Ylitalo                 juha.ylitalo@iki.fi                <e-mail>
+358 40 562 6152 <mobile>    http://www.iki.fi/jylitalo         <www>