httpd-users mailing list archives

From Craig Longman <cra...@begeek.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] requesting help w/ mod_proxy and tomcat
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:11:20 GMT
On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 08:07, i.t wrote:
> msg Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2002 12:04 by Sundar Narasimhan:
> > We're using ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse, but for some reason Tomcat (on
> > the internal server) sees each request as coming from a different
> > browser (or something).
> >
> > Is there any way I can debug this? (is mod_proxy the right thing to be
> > using here?)

ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse work well for this sort of thing.  the
problem isn't related to mod_proxy, its because the HOSTNAME is probably
different.  the browser is thinking its connecting to www.domain.com,
and tomcat thinks its running as local.httpd.domain.com, so when tomcat
creates a cookie, its giving the server name it knows, which doesn't
match what the browser is using, so the browser doesn't resend it.  make
sense?

tomcat is rather annoying in that  you can only set a proxy name at the
Connector level, proxyPort and proxyHost i think are the attributes.
your two options afaik are to either:

1) set up a connector specifically for this site, and use
proxyPort/proxyHost to reconfigure the cookie going back to the browser
2) use encoded URLs everywhere for session management, either forgetting
about the cookie or disabling it.

its too bad tomcat does't allow proxy info at the Host level, it only
makes sense to me; you ProxyPass to a host right?  not a stupid
connector.  but until they fix their stuff up, its a bit of a kludge
imho to work around.