httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mm.6182.mem file in logs directory.
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:11:03 GMT
> I am running Oracle Application Server which is using Apache 1.3.19. I
> found there are some files in Apache/logs directory. And I try to open it,
> all are strange characters.
>
> -rw-------         1056768 Oct 14 09:53 mm.24265.mem
> -rw-------                    0 Oct 14 09:53 mm.24265.sem
> -rw-------         1056768 Oct 17 14:29 mm.27160.mem
> -rw-------                    0 Oct 17 14:29 mm.27160.sem
> -rw-------          1056768 Apr  8  2002 mm.6182.mem
>

> Does anybody what are those files?

man 3 mm:

"The MM library is a 2-layer abstraction library which
       simplifies the usage of shared memory between forked (and
       this way strongly related) processes under Unix platforms.
       On the first (lower) layer it hides all platform dependent
       implementation details (allocation and locking) when
       dealing with shared memory segments and on the second
       (higher) layer it provides a high-level malloc(3)-style
       API for a convenient and well known way to work with data-
       structures inside those shared memory segments."

The .sem files are semaphores, basically a tab on who is accessing what
block of shared mem.  if my process writes mm.27160.sem, then I have full
access to shared memory block 27160 until i delete the .sem file.

the .mem files (i'm guessing here) are dumps of the shared memory.  perhaps
your implementation doesn't truly support inter-process memory sharing, so
mm has to dump the mem to disk as tempory storage.

man says to check out http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mm/

-Jacob