httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Kayma, Bill" <bka...@cypresscom.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Password -protected FTP subdirectory
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:26:58 GMT
We have a website...www.shannonwilson.com

They have a password protected directory that was setup by a previous
administrator for FTP (upload and download to that directory only)

The directory is /home/shannonwilson.com/www/ftp/inbox

They have it set up like this:
        drwxrwx---    2 shannonw swguest      4096 Oct 14 18:50 inbox

/etc/passwd ----  swguest:x:1102:1102:shannonwilson.com
guest:/home/shannonwilson.com/www/ftp/inbox:/bin/false

So you can go thru WS_FTP and select /ftp/inbox as the default directory,
and specify the username/password and get in just fine (to that directory
only)

OK....they want another directory with same functionality

....so I set up a user in /etc/passwd called Navy_B (see below)
        Navy_B:x:1121:1121:shannonwilson.com
guest:/home/shannonwilson.com/www/ftp/Navy_B:/bin/false

I have created their password in /etc/shadow (using passwd Navy_B)

I changed ownsership on Navy_B : (chown shannonwilson:Navy_B Navy_B)

I have given them FULL permissions on the directory (see below)

[root@soledad ftp]# ls -al
total 16
drwxr-xr-x    4 shannonw shannonw     4096 Sep 30 14:46 .
drwxr-xr-x   22 shannonw shannonw     4096 May 20 18:28 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 shannonw Navy_B       4096 Oct 14 19:13 Navy_B
drwxrwx---    2 shannonw swguest      4096 Oct 14 18:50 inbox
[root@soledad ftp]#

I have stopped and restarted httpd, but still cannot login to Navy_B
directory...

I had originally misinterpreted their request, and set up a password
protected directory using htaccess...but I have since deleted the .htaccess
and .htpasswd files from the Navy_B directory....

Is there something I am missing?

Bill Kayma
Cypress Communications
888.367.5669