httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ~ 2000 VirtualHost performance problem
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:07:20 GMT
> MaxRequestsPerChild 100
this
> MaxClients 1000
combined with this

leads to massive amounts of swapping, unless each connection takes < 1M.  I
saw this on a much smaller scale with 80 connections on a server with 256mb
of ram, with each connection taking 4-20mb of ram.  Once the server starts
swapping, it is a downward spiral unless the load drops.  In my case, it was
swapping so much that i had to physically disconnect the machine and wait
for it to calm down before I could login through a local term and restart
apache.

The reason MaxRequestsPerChild 100 slows things down is that after 100
requests (what, 4 secs for you), httpd kills off that process and stubs a
new one.  If you can get away with it, raise MaxRequestsPerChild or set it
to 0 for unlimited.

-Jacob