httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] JAVASCRIPT VIRII - myth? or fact?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:30:00 GMT
> naw, with a message on each of five community sites about this, there
> are around
> 100,000 people that are now disabling javascript and not going to sites
> where it is used.

Great, 0.01% of the world's users, and probably 80% of them will re-enable
js in the near future.

> the five sites are all the same community and my wife is very well known
> and respected there. so with the exception of 2 webdesigners that feel
> as you do, the latest and greatest tech only for a website, the entire
> community is upset at javascript.

How about posting some real evidence? I'm done with this thread until you
do.

JS is hardly the latest and greatest tech, we require NS 4 or IE 5 or
better.  Not exactly peddaling to the highest common denominator.  We don't
really even use CSS much becase some of our clients may not have browsers
that support it.

> might cause people to change the way they code sites if the community
> gets all their friends and families around the world to disable
javascript.

I doubt it.

Ok, I just searched for "javascript virus" on google:

1 requires a chinese version of IE 5, WSH, and about 3 other things to work.

5 are a variant of one which do the awful thing of changing a person's
homepage once they reboot.

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/index_js.html

1 erases the HDD, and requires outlook and mIRC to spread.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.gigger.a@mm.html

The other 271,998 pages are fake virii that use alert('you have a virus!')

The real problem that I'm seeing is WSH, and it has been for a long, long
time.  I found nothing that affects a *ix system.

-Jacob